School Based Interventionist Description
School Based Interventionist (SBI):
Primary Function:Works with identified at-risk students and families to reduce and prevent issues such as: truancy, behavior problems, delinquency, and involvement with law enforcement and the Juvenile Justice System, in order to promote positive social skills, peer mediation, problem solving, effective communication, and academic success.
SBI’s are employed through the Green Hills Area Education Agency. The AEA employee, in collaboration with, the assigned school district, community, and other relevant groups will work with students, school staff, and families to:
- Reduce and prevent truancy.
- Promote and improve school attendance.
- Reduce the number and severity of school discipline referrals.
- Educate, reduce, and prevent drug use and abuse.
- Create and implement small groups to cultivate positive social skills through: peer mediation, problem solving, effective communication, anger management, grief/loss and other related groups that build on academic success.
- Reduce and prevent involvement with law enforcement and the Juvenile Justice System.
- Track the progress of referred students’ behaviors and academics.
- Work closely with school administration, guidance counselors, school psychologist, student assistance teams, and teachers to provide appropriate resources for referred students.
- Act as a liaison between school officials, families, and other agencies working with students.
- 0. Establish a cooperative relationship with local law enforcement officers, Juvenile Court Services, Department of Human Services, and the community.
Ashley Denton, SBI for Missouri Valley Elementary, also Co-Coordinates the TeamMates Mentoring Program, manages the Food Backpack Program, and will be working with Mrs. Clausen to run the Caring Cubby at the elementary. In addition, Mrs. Denton works with all MVE 4th and 5th grade students weekly regarding bullying and peer relations.
Mrs. Denton can be reached at the elementary during regular schools hours Monday-Friday either via phone 642-2279 or e-mail: email@example.com